How would you approach teaching a multi-level class?

How would you approach teaching a multi-level class?

In my experience, nearly all of my classes have been multi-level classes. Unfortunately, ESL learners do not always fit into 'boxes' in terms of level.  I've had multiple students that have the same IELTS level on paper but upon entering the class it is clear that their levels are incredibly different. I find that level can, even, vary depending on a students mood! For example, in my current class, I have pretty strong writers and readers but their listening and speaking skills are on the weaker side. At the beginning of the week, on a Monday, usually my students are quite tired and I notice a major decrease in their pronunciation and retention of materials. 
I would approach teaching a multi-level class by, firstly, ensuring that I have accurate needs assessments in hand. Knowing what my students require and their goals for the class will assist me greatly in being able to accommodate to their levels. I also will emphasize the importance of self-reflection and personal learning goals at the beginning of the class so that competition between students is minimized and they are aware that everyone is learning at a difference pace. One thing that does help with multi-level classrooms, even though I am not able to do this in my current class, is theme-based lessons. Being able to provide a lesson about banking, for example, you can find multiple resources for multiple lessons online and in textbooks. This way the lesson can apply to all levels that are present in the classroom. 
Some strategies that I use in my current class is a lot of pair/group work and mixing up of the pairs. I tend to pair up lower level students with the higher levels, this allows an opportunity for the students to assist each other. One of my favourite motto's and something I remind my students is: "you've only learned this, if you can teach it to someone else." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Language Acquisition versus Second Language Learning

Popular Ideas about Language Learning

The 'Fine Line' of Student Interaction